Monday, February 28, 2011

Survey Says...

8 out of my 18 predictions were right on. Nearly half. Not bad. I was shocked that Tom Hooper got best director and at that point it was inevitable that The King's Speech would get best picture. It's a fine film, fully deserving. It did have all the right criteria for a best picture- period drama, main character over coming a disability, amusing supporting character, British, and backed by Harvey Weinstein.

I don't mean to be so snide, it really was a wonderful film. It's just obvious now why Black Swan didn't get it...however, it did kind of get it by Natalie Portman's win. I was almost unnecessarily excited about her win. I remember falling for her back in Garden State (2004) and have always liked her since.

But who really won at the Academy Awards this year? Me. I'll tell you why:

1) I got to watch Anne Hathaway be pretty for three hours.

2) It reminded me how much I love my craft. This happens to me every year. January is always a slump month where I'm so worn down from production in the fall. I love making movies in the fall. I get so worn down, trying to squeeze in as much as I can. Then February comes and it's the only moment the whole country stops to celebrate movies. It's tremendous and inspires the hell out of me. As Joseph said tonight "I want to be in the movie club." Someday, amigo. Someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment