Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hare Krshna



I have had the busiest damn week, but a good week. As a result, I haven't had a lot of time to write. I'm up to three days this year where I haven't written anything significant. I excuse it with the class film shoot I did on Tuesday (where I was a unstoppable one man sound department) and last night's Hit and Run History screening at the Massachusetts Historical Society. It was so bizarre sitting in the same room as a bunch of Copley and Blyth original portraits kickin' back the free booze and watching the little documentary I've proudly been a part of since 2008.

I return to this little blog to talk about the new(ish) album I bought yesterday in the spirit of talking about every album I buy this year. At Looney Tunes in Boston (on the same block as the Historical Society. Coincidence?) I got The Radha Krshna Temple (London) self titled LP. The albums pop culture claim to fame is its famous record label (Apple) and it's even more famous producer (George Harrison, who also plays harmonium, bass, and slide guitar). I bought it on compact disc back in November when Apple re-released a majority of its old catalog to continue the high demand of Beatles related material after the band's remastered catalog release in September '09.

The album is comprised of devotional Hindi songs/chants with all proceeds going to the Internation Society for Krishna Consciousness. The inside gatefold actually lists all the Temples that were around the world at the time of release (1970) and a neat-o flyer for mail-order ISKCON books. It is very entrancing both listening and watching it spin on my turntable. 33 and 1/3 must be a sacred number in Hinduism because that is the speed this music was intended to be played at. Harrison once said in an interview that he was drawn to Indian music because it felt so familiar and I couldn't agree more. Most of my friends agree that once they get passed the exotic nature in the structure, the music is very familiar- like home, like you would perfectly believe seeing this album in your parent's record collection, Beatle connection or not.

The point of the music is to repeat the mantra to attain a higher state of consciousness- as George said "beyond waking and sleeping." I have defiantly lost myself in the album, shouting the responses to "Bhaja Bhakata/Arati" while blaring it on my car stereo. The easiest mantra to learn is the Hare Krshna Mantra. It's the Lord's Prayer of the East but this time you are trying to listen, not talk. Exhale on each line whilst meditating. Think of it as preparing to exhale "om."

Music is the true cultural ambassador. I never would have explored Indian culture if it wasn't for their music which, at times, is too wonderful for words. I feel I am a better person for exploring the ideas of the East. Spiritually, the East is more excepting and disciplined than the West- two qualities I hold dear. And the food? Spicier AND healthier than Mexican food. Shit now I'm hungry. Spiritually and physically. I can at least satisfy the latter. I'll try meditating again too. I did nearly everyday in the last half of the summer but soon learned that meditating is harder than running a mile.

APPLE LP COUNT- 24
LEFT TO GO- 38

No comments:

Post a Comment