Friday, January 21, 2011

The Decemberists- The King is Dead

Yesterday The Decemberists's new LP came out. Today I bought it at the original Newbury Comics and Classical Annex in Boston, MA. This is the first Decemberisst release that I have really cared about since The Crane Wife came out on Capitol in 2006. Both that and 2009's The Hazards of Love were such disappointments. Granted if my little indie band jumped to a really good major label, I would use the upped production value to experiment in studio. I applaud anyone who tries to work narratives into pop music, but sadly, I wasn't having it.

Once I saw the cover and the lead track "Down by the Water" back in November, I knew for sure- the Decemberists I fell in love with back in high school is back. To start with, the album is tremendous. The group has always had a throw back feel to them, but on this LP it's a throw back to alternative records of the 1980s. The title alone is a tribute to Colin Meloy's beloved Smiths album The Queen is Dead ("This is Why We Fight" pretty much has the same drums and percussion from "The Boy With The Thorn in his Side" for what it's worth. Not accusing it of a rip off- it's a great tune that's way darker than the Smiths tune...if that's possible). Also it helps when you have REM's guitarist Peter Buck on board to make it sound like some songs should have been on MTV's 120 Hours back in '86. Some tracks also have rhythms that totally recall those on Paul Simon's late '70s albums and the harmonica parts are right out of a Springsteen or Neil Young song.

All the nostalgia aside, the album has so many fresh sounds too. The addition of Gilliam Welch on the whole LP is the best guest vocalist since Emmylou Harris was on Bright Eye's I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. (Speaking of, new Bright Eyes LP is coming 2/15 with a whole new Saddle Creek line up. 2011 is going to be an amazing year.) "June Hymn" is perfect proof of the group creating new and exciting sounds that are vastly different from the days of "A Cautionary Song" but still fit perfectly in their vein.

Colin's voice is so different. Good different. "Rise to Me" is the best he has ever sounded. He has either completely loss his whine or perfected to a point where it's an art.

The album is basically what The Crane Wife should have been. Like Picaresque, it's just a collection of great tunes. Really great tunes, Jesus H. Christ. It's exciting the way only a solid single LP can deliever. Side Two opens with "Down by the Water"- shit, that's how you sequence an album.

Also as far as the album art goes, it's wonderful. A classic gate-fold filled with Poloroids of the band while recording the album in their farm outside of Portland, Oregon. Stuff like that makes me happy as hell.

On a personal note, listening to "June Hymn" back to back with Tarkio's "Keeping Me Awake" make me miss the summer a lot. The weather has been far too cold for my liking. Some days I lie in bed and wish that when I go outside, all the snow will be gone and it will be summer again. It never happens that way, but I'm still hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment