Saturday, January 15, 2011

Dancing with myself.

Tonight I went to see Eli "Paperboy" Reed and the True Lovers with a bunch of my art school friends at a joint called the Middle East Downstairs. Pre-show I went to my friend Joe's place on Hillside and for the first time in year, I was under dressed. Joseph was in a slick suit, the girls looked fantastic and even Alberto was wearing a button-up sweater. I promptly bolted back to Parker to change into a velvet blazer and skinny black tie. Some drunk dude called Joseph and I "Jake and Elwood" as we made our way to Cambridge. I think I enjoyed the compliment a little too much. No matter.

Three McDonald hamburgers, two glasses of whiskey and one hour later, we were in Cambridge watching an opening act by the name of Spirit Kid. They sound like a good Beatles power-pop group. The lead singer looked a little like my friend Joseph. I was already dancing like a fool and the main act hadn't even come out yet (granted it doesn't take much to get me dancing like a fool.)

The True lovers came out with a pretty strong looking brass section wearing dark sunglasses and solemn expressions on their faces. I turned to Joseph and said "They better open with a horn hit." Sure enough. In total Blues Brother fashion (second call back of the night), the horns hit hard, and the band came in while the keyboard player gave an introduction to our hero Eli that grabbed the room's pre-show tension by the balls.

"...Ladies and Gentlemen,  Eli 'Paperboy' Reeeeeeeeeeeed!"

The lad came out looking like Michael Buble as a greaser. A good pompadour is something to covet and I coveted the hell out of it. He took a confident stride to the microphone, grabbed it savagely and let out a yelp. The band went full tilt. The house exploded. The man simply did not stop. He opened his mouth and nothing but soul came out of it for over an hour. He channeled all the masters of soul and didn't scrimp on the showmanship. At times his voice gave me chills, sounding like he swallowed an old transistor radio.

I simply did not stop dancing. Neither did my friends. Alberto with Miriah. Joe with Monica. Audrey with Me. Me with Miriah. Joe with Alberto. It went on and on. We were so happy and angelic. It was impossible for any bad vibrations to creep into the room. It's so wonderful to fall in love with so many people while dancing. My friends. My dear friends.

The set was over and the DJ kicked back in- spinning some far-out 45s from as far back as the mid 1950s. We Charlestoned towards the door but had no intentions of leaving. Joseph danced while rolling a new cigarette. Incredible really, the power of music.

Needless to say, I highly recommend seeing Eli and picking up his albums. Same goes for the Eccentric Soul series from the Numero group- cuts of which I think the DJ actually spinned.

I solemnly swear to randomly go to any and all soul shows I can find from this day forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment