Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ask for Record at Counter

What with the snow day tomorrow, I've decided to kick back and transfer some LPs thanks to Joseph's nifty Ion MixMeister. First up is Frank Zappa's Hot Rats. This album was originally released in 1969 and  was remixed in 1987 for a CD release. Once I finally bought a copy of the original LP at Nugget's in beautiful Kenmore Square, I promptly sold my CD copy. It's that good.

It's very pretentious and cliché to claim an LP sounds warmer than a CD (all be it true). If anything, the '69 mix sounds stripped down. Zappa sounds like he's actually playing with a band instead of just multi-tracking the hell out of it. (For a frame of reference, at the same time Zappa was recording this in LA with a 16 track mixer, the Beatles were living in the stone age with an 8 track mixer.) The drums are much richer on this recording and "Peaches en Regalia" is too wonderful for words. The horns have space to breath as opposed to the constricting '87 mix. Same goes for "Little Umbrellas" on side two.

In '87 mix, he mainly turned up and re-EQed the guitar parts, but that doesn't make it completely worthless (or vain). I like the groovy lead-in he added on "The Gumbo Variations." The old mix starts quite suddenly following the calm "Little Umbrellas." Also the '87 mixes of "Willie the Pimp" and "Son of Mr. Green Genes" seem like Zappa's original intention was restricted by the technology at the time. "Willie" sounds way tighter and "Green Genes" has more excitement in it. I remember when I first heard it in high school and I was FLOORED by the time Zappa's guitar solo came in. The '69 mix sounds more relaxed; keeping with the jazz fusion theme and less balls-to-the-wall.

Both are great versions. It's the music that really matters in the end. It's widely considered Zappa's best and I'm inclined to agree even though I know my answer will change dozens of times after I post this. Also remember to register to vote, would you please?

No comments:

Post a Comment