Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mr. Thomas Doesn't Go To Washington

My favorite right as an American is my ability to express myself freely without being censored, abridged, or suppressed. I dig living in a country where everything is on the table to discuss.

However, the freedom to say whatever you want does NOT give you the right to be a douche.

Tim Thomas is perfectly within his right to disagree with the Federal Government. I don't disrespect him for that. What I do disrespect him for is his lack of tact.

It was simply the wrong forum. The emphasis of the event and the President's speech was on teamwork, and Thomas is an amazing teammate. The President was honoring the Boston Bruins, not Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron, et. al.

I think a better example to talk about other than the Theo Epstein comparison is the Beatles in 1965 when they were honored with the MBE medal. John Lennon didn't believe in receiving the award and ended up returning his medal as an act of protest in 1969. BUT he still went with the other lads to Buckingham Palace and thanked the Queen and enjoyed the day...with a "little help from his friends"...

But that's just the point. You're being honored as a whole, not as individuals. Take up your beefs elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Thomas now. I love him. As I've said before on this blog, I live through this team and this event is no different. There have been times recently where I've refused to even be in the same room as certain people I don't like and that's pretty immature. In fact, it's wildly childish. So the next time these opportunities arise, I'm going to straighten my tie and keep my head high. No need to build walls and burn bridges.

Now let's get to the two things we should really talk about.
1) Why the hell does Obama get Campbell's number? Then again if you did 44, Seidenberg would have something to say too.
2) Start Timmy tonight. Let's beat the hell out of the Caps and go into the All Star Break at #1. GO BRUINS.

No comments:

Post a Comment