Friday, May 20, 2011

From the End of the World to Your Town Part II

5/13
Saunders Island

Due to fog, we are stranded here for another day. We're suppose to leave the Falklands tomorrow.

Best Case Scenario: Leave wicked early tomorrow to catch our plane at Mt. Pleasant
Medium Case Scenario: Leave Wednesday for where-ever. Maybe London.
Worst Case Scenario: Leave a week from tomorrow.

We've resorted to watching Spiderman 2 and 3. Not only are they horrible, they bring up too many bad memories of high school. The last thing I want to dwell on when I'm stuck on a remote island. The only thing keeping me watching is the fact I'm dying to watch a movie. Like MST3k or The Life Aquatic.

5/14
Departed Saunders by small fishing boat to Cove Hill located on mainland West Falkland. Hired a ride from Cove Hill to Port Howard.


5/15
This inn looks like a grandmother's wet dream. I was relieved when we got here when I found they had the entire James Bond collection on video and they had a leg of mutton in the oven waiting for us. We had that, baked beans, and red wine for dinner. Other than missing our flight and not being in any America, this is pretty ok.

Now the fun part. Today we are either taking a FIGAS plane back to Stanley or a ferry followed by a taxi. Hopefully the former and not the later. Either way we will end up in Stanley, back at the Lookout Lodge, tonight. We will most likely stay there until Saturday. Arrive back in NYC a week from tomorrow. I don't want to spend my birthday in Stanley but I shouldn't complain. Andy spent his stranded on Saunders. I just can't wait to get home. I'll have more control over my life I feel.

Picked up by a FIGAS plane back to Stanley with a pit stop in Chartes.

Back home in Room 57. Still sick as a dog from that horrible flight. It was a double whammy of air sickness and a panic attack. I'm dizzy just sitting up.

I'm now really upset I didn't fix my watch battery. I hate walking down two hallways to see what time it is.

I miss my friends a lot. It breaks my heart thinking I won't see them on my birthday. Next time I go on vacation I'm gonna go somewhere else like Disneyland or Maui or something.

5/18
The food is getting worse. I'm eating less and sleeping more. The need to get home grows stronger, most recently due to an e-mail from a professor scolding me about not getting back when I said I would.

We've been working for the past two days at the Falkland Islands Television studio. They have been lifting my spirits. There's only three employees- Liz, Paula and Mark. There's also Paula's husband Steven who works for Stanley Services who owns the station. They are new to video production so we've been happy to lend a hand. I even did a voice over for a segment on new books at the library. Too adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment